The Royal Chelsea Hospital
Our works have been completed at The Royal Chelsea Hospital; the restoration of the South Terrace landscaped area has been sympathetically transformed. Working with the Royal Borough of Kensington & Chelsea, the Royal Hospital obtained agreement and planning permission to reinstate the South Terrace grounds original vista from the Royal Hospital towards the River Thames.
Originally built by Christopher Wren in 1692, the Hospital’s magnificent formal gardens included canals, gazebos and summer houses which were all demolished between 1850 and 1868 when the Chelsea Embankment was constructed.
The reinstatement works required us to remove all existing lawns, gravel paths, rose beds and perimeter shrubs along with the felling and clearing of a number of trees in front of the Terrace and the demolition of the tennis hard court.
Following these works, we were then able to install surface drainage and a complete irrigation system including a 55,000 LTR underground water tank. New paths were installed to assist wheelchair bound pensioners, along with seeding of 9,600 m2 of new lawns, the planting of 490 bushy Taxus baccatta, 12 No. clear stemmed Pleached Tilia x Vulgaris, and 48 2m conical Taxus, clipped on site into pyramids.