Why Willerby Landscapes for project scope and costings
- Willerby Landscapes are proactive throughout a project lifecycle which includes input into design development, value engineering, delivery logistics and programming aspects.
- We have worked-in programme bespoke solutions and have initiated or fundamentally changed conventional wisdom to overcome challenging constraints and/or elaborate design concepts.
We bring plant health and viability expertise to the project
- However good the architects’ drawings may look, you need to know that your planting and soft landscaping is going to stand a chance of surviving after the project is finished.
- Through our extensive history of delivering large scale landscaping schemes, and also our experience of being brought in to rescue projects, we can advise on the sustainability of the project and suitable hard and soft landscape materials to suit.
We deliver logistics management for green roof and green wall installations
- For the Olympic Park Stadium, we had to install a 6m high 500 linear metre long wall which ran around the perimeter of the Stadium embankment, and, a near vertical green screen around the stadium entrance. The embankment screen had to be planted and installed near the water’s edge, against a 70-degree slope and on a sloping substrate. Planted into the embankment were 20,000 plants, each required a separate irrigation feed we also developed a system of modular falsework which could be simply erected and relocated to create a lightweight working platform.
- We have installed close to 28 green roofs in London these past few years. The Sky Garden, 30 Cannon Street, Principal Place, 4 Pancras Sq KX, The Triplets KX and many other prestigious projects within the City of London. Detailed planning and our expertise in logistics management “just in time” delivery has enabled us to bring value and expertise in this area of hard & soft landscaping thus knowledgeability to the designers and principal contractors.
Thinking out of the box on water feature projects
- Jubilee Park, a project that included a number of large pools and water features. Due to the works associated with construction of the new underground retail mall, this area of the site could not be handed over until very late in the construction phasing.
- We developed a prefabricated system using modular sections of steel framing encapsulated with GRP which could then be connected together to form each feature.
- A full-scale prototype was built off site, tested and demonstrated to the client. All units were then fabricated and coded for dispatch. Once on site they were bolted together, joints sealed and a single sided shutter erected to cast the foundations. Finally, they were clad in stone.
- Liverpool ONE, the Lunar Pool was completely prefabricated off site in a number of segmental GRP sections. This allowed the pool to be delivered and installed in 48 hours. The whole structure was then clad with stone utilising Halfen channels which were cast into the GRP moulding. The same process was carried out for the linear interactive fountains.
- QEOP South Park, The Labyrinth. The original design intent called for the inclusion of a large buried tank located outside of the plant room, linked to the feature via a series of buried pipes.
- This offered significant challenges to the programme due to the size and timing of the excavation required. We re-worked the design to include a GRP channel running the full length of the serpentine feature, linked back to the plant room by a simplified pipework arrangement.
- In order that capacity was retained for the requisite water volumes and free board required, our supply partner The Fountains Workshop redesigned the plant room to incorporate the tanks internally.
- Additionally, we re-visited the layout of The Labyrinth and through slight modification of its form, reduced the number of pre-cast moulds from 61 to 13, speeding up the production process of the pre-cast cover units significantly.
Development of new technologies, more complex projects, market conditions or a combination of all these factors has conditioned us into making sure we bring value and expertise to any project. It is for this reason that we continue to expand on our services to provide enterprising landscaping solutions and innovations for our clients.